Saturday, April 27, 2013

Lorrain and the golf cart

 Sometime around 1990, when Lorrain was still teaching at Eagle Elementary, I stopped by the house and there was golf cart parked in the driveway.  Herb and Lorrain's house was about two hundred yards from the 18th tee at Eagle Hills, so I guess the presence of the golf cart made some some sense.  But not really.

Herb and Lorrain didn't golf much since 1960 and not at Eagle Hills.  Hmm.  Must be someone visiting.  Their clubs were on the back.  Yes,  that was it.  Visitors at the house. When I walked in Herb and Lorrain were at the kitchen table like always.  Reading.
"Whose golf cart?" I asked.
"What golf cart?" asked Herb.
"The one in the driveway".
Lorrain cut in quickly; "I found it.  It was abandoned".
Herb got out of his chair.  But said nothing.  He knew this was a case of Lorrain's logic gone far astray.  He'd seen it happen before, often with him having to cure the problem because Lorrain "didn't do anything wrong".
"Where?"  I asked.
"Where do you think...on the golf course".
Herb sat down.  Yes, this was one of those times.
I made Mom recount the facts...listening hopefully to hear the legal elements of abandoned property mentioned.
Not even close.  It seems that while walking home from school Lorrain, somewhere near the 10th fairway had found the unattended cart with "no one around".  She then drove it home because "they wouldn't have left it if they had wanted it".
And what about their golf clubs?
"If they'd wanted those they would have taken them with them."
Dad and I looked at each other.  We both imagined the golfers looking for a lost ball and returning to see their cart gone.  Or yelling at Mom as she drove off.  But her being hard of hearing, just driving away.  And the 10th tee?  So far from the 18th and the house.
Dad and I went out to the driveway.  The cart was gone.
"I guess they came and got it" Dad said.  Then Mom came out and saw the cart was missing.
Her response..."someone stole it".
Dad turned to me and winked.  "Happens all the time" he said.
And Mom's response;  "Well those SOB's".


No comments:

Post a Comment